St Mary Magdalene
North Poorton, DT6 3TH
The church of St. Mary Magdalene, erected in 1862 in place of an ancient church, of which the remains can still be seen, is a building of stone in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, north porch, and a small north tower with a spire containing one bell.
It was the Rev Thomas Sanctuary, the Archdeacon of Dorset and Vicar of Powerstock, who commissioned the Dorchester architect John Hicks to design a replacement church for North Poorton and the consecration service took place on October 4th 1862. The new church was dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene.
The church was built by men from the village using local stone. Its outstanding feature is a minaret tower or, as Pevsner describes it, a “turret with spire” housing a bell dated 1635. In the vestry are several monuments dating to the eighteenth century, these having been transferred from the old Church. The detailed stone pulpit is the work of Richard Boulton and the wood carving by Thomas Champion of Frampton. The specialist carving work was done by Benjamin Grassby, who is responsible for the corbels and capitals.
St Mary Magdalene church holds regular services and is cared for by a dedicated and generous congregation.