Broadoak, Bridport DT6 5NL
As the parish church in Symondsbury was a considerable distance for people to travel from the outlying settlements, two chapel of ease were built; St Paul’s at Broadoak and St Peter’s at Eype. In the mid nineteenth century the hamlet of Broadoak was approximately three miles from the parish church.
Thomas Talbot Bury of London drew up the plans for the church and the land was purchased by Rev. Rawlinson of St John the Baptist parish church at Symondsbury from the trustees of the Bridport Charity. As well as serving Broadoak, St Paul’s was placed to also serve the other nearby hamlets.
The completed church was consecrated on 25th April 1866 by the Bishop of Salisbury.
The church is built of local red sandstone sourced from Stoke Knapp, near Beaminster. It was built to accommodate 120 persons and has a nave and a chancel. At the west end is an oak door with ornamental ironwork and a bell turret with a decorated cross finial.
It sits in a fine position overlooking the Dorset countryside and continues to serve the local community with regular services.