St Michael & All Angels
Nallers Lane, Askerswell, Dorset DT2 9EJ
Open daily - closes at dusk
The present church, designed by Talbot Bury, was built in 1858 to replace the existing building which, apart from the tower, was demolished in 1857.
Whilst no plans or engravings of the earlier church exist, Hutchins in his eighteenth century History of Dorset describes the church as "having a tiled chancel, a body (nave) covered with lead, a high tower adorned with battlements and pinnacles, containing five bells, the last added in 1747."
The present church is in the Perpendicular style, built of stone rubble and ashlar dressings. The tower probably dates from 1403, when the church was first dedicated to St Michael. The first rector was appointed in 1304 which suggests that there must have been a church on the site from the beginning of the fourteenth century, if not earlier.
The tower staircase door is seventeenth century or earlier. The door is made of nail studded battens and strapped hinges. Under the West Door some stone steps lead down to a large vaulted chamber containing many coffins of the Eggardon family. The chamber is now sealed up. The last of the family sold the remains of their estate in 1741 and was reduced to receiving relief from the parish.
The Church has regular services, including the Benefice Eucharist service every second Sunday of the month.