Dottery, Bridport DT6 5PS
Built in 1881, St Saviour’s, Dottery, is the only Tin Tabernacle in Dorset in which regular services are still held. It was erected as a chapel of ease through the efforts of the vicar of Loders, Rev. Alfred Edersheim, to serve the small hamlet of Dottery. At the time residents of the hamlet were at least one or two miles away from a church. Initially a small cottage held services but once attendance surpassed the capacity of the cottage this iron church was intended to be a temporary dwelling for services until it could be replaced by a permanent building. At the time of opening a collection funded a number of additions, including a bell and harmonium.
In 1886 the church was extended to the east to accommodate a chancel and vestry. It continues to be maintained and cared for by its dedicated and generous congregation and the services still use the original Book of Common Prayer given to the church by the Rev Alfred Edersheim in January 1882.