Mount Lane, Eype, Bridport DT6 6AP
St Peter's, Eype, is a Daughter Church to St John the Baptist, the Parish Church of Symondsbury and lies one mile south west of Bridport. Designed 1864-5 by Thomas Talbot Bury on the hill overlooking the sea and above the small hamlet of Eype on the south coast, it was consecrated on 25th August 1865.
It was built of local stone from Symondsbury and Bothenhampton, with its windows, doors and arches dressed in Bath stone. The decorated Gothic church was designed to accommodate 300 persons and built with a cruciform plan, containing a nave, chancel, sacristy, north and south transepts and a south porch. A tower was intended for the church, however limited funds prompted the construction of a bell turret on the western end of the roof instead. Established as a Chapel of Ease to the parish church at Symondsbury, it was re-ordered in 2003/4 for Eype Centre for the Arts allowing combined arts and worship use.
It is still consecrated, with regular Holy Communion and Evensong services and the occasional baptism or funeral. As a Chapel-at-Ease it does not have a licence to hold wedding services but is available for renewal of marriage vows and marriage blessings and is a wonderful setting for such celebrations.